Wednesday, May 4, 2011

1980s Fantasy Art: Robert Gould's Moorcock Art

Here's a selection of images by Robert Gould who remains one of my favorite fantasy artists. Back in the 1980s his work graced the covers of most of Berkley's Moorcock novels. His Elric covers remain the definitive version of the character for me--although I also quite like Brunner, Whelan, and Cawthorn's Elric work as well.








The above picture here is my favorite Elric image ever. Its was used as the cover for my favorite book in the series: The Vanishing Tower (which was a re-title as it was originally called The Sleeping Sorceress).










Here's Gould's wonderful cover for Moorcock's City in the Autumn Stars--the sequel to The War Hound and the World's Pain.

4 comments:

  1. I think I still have matted, numbered, autographed prints of the first four pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, brother! I loved these covers, too--just looking at them brings back memories...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My two Elric omnibus dealies have his art and are among my favorite covers. I didn't know who he was, other than that his stuff is total tits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many years ago, I bought my gf a Robert Gould album. The greatest tragedy of this break up was that I'd never get to leaf through this glorious album again. :)

    Uri K.
    http://dndkids.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete