Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I've Started

I've started working on a pulp science fantasy novel that I'm hoping to actually finish. It occurs to me that while I've written lots of stories with genre elements I haven't written anything quite like this since I was eighteen. For long time I wrote stories with "literary" aspirations (largely because I was writing in a college MFA program that encouraged those sorts of stories), but I never wanted to write like Hemingway or Graham Greene. When I was thirteen, I wrote a number of stories that were pretty much pastiches of Michael Moorcock, but they brimmed with imaginative imagery. I feel like I've gone back to that well for the first time in a long time. Maybe, I'll have a few more things to say now that I'm in my late thirties.

BUT. . .the book IS going to have swords, monsters, a doomed heroine, and all those things that have drenched my journal and my imagination for a long time. I feel like I'm finally letting them out to play.

I'll update on my progress as I make some.

Best
Nick

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog (I googled Jaws of the Six Serpents), so this comes a little late, but best of luck! I've done a little writing myself (and also teach English). Personally, I've found that I have to be in love with the story, or it doesn't go anywhere.

    Again best of luck and I look forward to an update.

    ReplyDelete